Monday, August 21, 2006

Korean class!

I've done it - I've registered for a month of Korean classes at YBM-Sisa. It's not my first choice, but it's apparently popular, and cheaper than a university (but still a significant investment), and a 5 minute walk from my workplace. 2 hours a day, 5 days a week, starting September 4.

The guy who briefly interviewed me put me into Level 4. The web site says of level 4, "Students learn not only the language but also things to help students better understand Korean culture. Students will learn to speak in longer and more complex forms accurately." I'm somewhat worried that I've been put into too difficult a class - I don't understand spoken Korean well at all, but I can speak reasonably well enough to make people assume that I do - but I'll only know for sure in 2 weeks. I bought the textbook, which looks quite boring, but I teach English with equally boring books so I guess this is cosmic justice.

Between this class and other looming purchases (plane tickets to Taiwan, digital camera), I'm going to spend quite a bit of money this week. At least it will be mostly one-time expenses.

No comments: